2013 CESASC Student Essay Contest "Future Technology That Can Improve Human Life”
The Chinese-American Engineer and Scientist Association of Southern California (CESASC) invites 8th to 12th grade students to participate in the 2013 "Future Technology That Can Improve Human Life" essay competition.
This contest is intended for kids to develop their interests in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and to bring together writing and expression skills from the mind of the youngster in view of a future technology. A student may choose any technology (such as health dialogistic instruments or environmentally friendly vehicles) that impact human life (such as friends or relatives who need asthma/diabetic medication on a daily basis).
2. Who Can Enter
The contest is open to all 8thto 12th grade students who are currently registered in a U.S. school.
3. How To Enter
Entry must be submitted electronically in MS Words or Adobe pdf format to CESASC.firstname.lastname@example.org. A scanned copy of the signed Official Entry Form must accompany all electronic submissions. Please put “2013 ESFT Contest” in the subject line. The Official Entry Form is available online at http://www.cesasc.org.
4. Contest Rules
Each submission that is entered into the contest must meet the following contest rules:
- Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the student entering the contest.
- Entries must be typed and in English.
- The essay must consist of three parts:
- Name of the technology
- A 400-500 words essay that describes how it works and how it may contribute to improvement of human life.
- A drawing that illustrates what the technology looks like. It should be labeled clearly for clarity.
- Each student can submit only one entry.
- No substitutions of new versions of a submission will be accepted once the original submission is submitted for consideration.
- A complete Official Entry Form must be submitted with the essay.
- All entries must be received by the submission deadline.
- Submission of an entry constitutes consent to the use of the entrant’s name and/ or photograph, including posting on the CESASC website without compensation.
5. Winner Selection and Prizes
All eligible entries will be judged by a panel of scientists, engineers, and educators, based on the following criteria: (1) originality of idea; (2) originality and creative quality of essay; (3) clarity of the presentation; (4) writing ability and content; (5) significance of technology; (6) relevance to the topic “Future Technology That Can Improve Human Life”.
Awards include the following prizes:
- 1st place - $500 and a trophy
- 2nd place - $250 and a trophy
- 3rd place - $100 and a trophy
Winners will be notified by email and/or telephone using the contact information provided in the Official Entry Form at the time of entry. Winners names will be announced publically through update to the CESASC website and social media accounts.
Winners and their families will be invited to present their winning entries and receive the prizes at the CESASC 51stAnnual Convention and Technical Symposium on March 30, 2013 at Hilton San Gabriel.
6. Important Dates and Deadlines
December 15, 2012 – Start of Contest
February 15, 2013 – Submission Deadline
March 15, 2013 – Winners notified and announced
March 30, 2013 – Winning Entries Presentation and Public Award Ceremony
For more information, please contact Mr. Yiu Man So at email@example.com