2024 CESASC STEAM ESSAY CONTEST
Topic: An Image for Interstellar Messaging
Submission: https://bit.ly/cesasc_steam_2024 by March 24, 2024
In our effort to compile a comprehensive and authentic portrayal of Earth and its inhabitants, we are inviting individuals from around the globe to contribute to this monumental endeavor by submitting images and photos, as well as an essay explaining the image/photo and why it captures the essence of our planet and humanity. Your submission can play a pivotal role in shaping how we are represented to potential extraterrestrial civilizations and ensuring that the diversity and richness of our world are accurately and meaningfully captured.
Who Can Submit
This contest is open to All K-12 students. We will accept submissions from both individuals and teams, worldwide.
We are seeking images and photos that encapsulate the following categories:
- Geographical Landscapes: Photos that showcase the diversity of Earth's landscapes, from the highest peaks to the deepest oceans, and everything in between.
- Chemical Elements of Existence: Images that depict the foundational elements that make up our world and the beings that inhabit it.
- Biodiversity: Photos capturing the vast spectrum of life on Earth, from the microscopic to the massive, and the interrelationships among them.
- Human Biological Structure: Images that illuminate the intricacies of the human body and its functions.
- Universal Human Emotions: Photos that depict the range of emotions experienced by humans across different cultures and contexts.
- Social Structures: Images that showcase the various social structures that humans have developed, from families to communities to entire civilizations.
- Cultural Richness and Creativity: Photos that highlight the richness of our cultural heritage, artistic expressions, architectural marvels, and technological advancements.
How to Submit
Please submit your images and photos to the submission address provide above. Ensure that your submissions are of high resolution and are accompanied by a one-page essay explaining the relevance and significance of the image/photo and why it is fitted for ET communication.
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of experts who will evaluate the essays and associated images and photos that best represent the categories mentioned above and align with our objectives. We will accept submissions from both individuals and teams, worldwide. A $1000 First Prize plus Second & Third place prizes will be awarded. Winners will need to attend the award ceremony at the 62nd CESASC Annual Convention, to be held at the Sheraton Cerritos Hotel on Saturday, May 4, 2024, to receive the prize.
First Place: $1,000 scholarship
Second Place: $500 scholarship
Third Place: $250 scholarship